Brightcove Connector version 3 and Solr
I recently worked on an engagement in which the parameters of the project required us to use version 3 of the Brightcove Video Connect for the Sitecore Experience Platform. An additional aspect of the project was that we were using Solr instead of Lucene. Anyone who has worked with or researched this version of the Brightcove connector, is familiar with the fact, that out of the box, this version only supports Lucene indexing for content search.
While it is possible for Sitecore to support both Solr and Lucene indexes, I discovered, the hard way, that Sitecore does not always reliably support both index types. In this instance, it manifested itself as an error towards the end of the connector package installation and an inability to use the connector after exiting the failed installation. Once I discovered the issue was due to the Lucene based content search configuration, I was forced to create a Solr based configuration to resolve the issue.
The first thing that needed to be addressed was the name of the content search configuration file that gets installed (Sitecore.ContentSearch.MediaFramework.Brightcove.config). To fall in line with the naming convention that was set by Sitecore, this file was renamed to Sitecore.ContentSearch.Lucene.MediaFramework.Brightcove.config.diabled. Next was the creation of the Solr configuration. Following the naming convention at hand, the Solr configuration file would be named, Sitecore.ContentSearch.Solr.MediaFramework.Brightcove.config.
Instead of boring you with the details of translating the Lucene configuration to Solr configuration, I'll simply leave you with a link to the zip file which contains the necessary configuration files. Once you’ve installed the Brightcove connector using the instructions provided on their support page, you'll want to follow the instructions in the readme file contained in the zip file (NOTE: If you get an error during the package install of the Brightcove connector, that's to be expected.)